It is very helpful to have your own genealogy program to track both living and deceased relatives. New Family Search is only for deceased ancestors/relatives. In having your own program, it will allow you to track items you are researching and are not yet ready to put on NFS. There are several programs available and which you choose will depend on what your needs and finances allow. A comparison of several programs can be found at http://www.familytreemagazine.com/ResearchToolkit/SoftwareGuide Some of the most popular programs include:
- RootsMagic - www.rootsmagic.com They have a free essentials program and the full program is $29.95. It will also sync with NFS, allowing you to compare your information, make changes in NFS, and download information from NFS into your program one person at a time.
- Personal Ancestral File - www.familysearch.org This program is free and is available for download at the Family Search website in the bottom right corner. This is a great program for the beginner or an individual that just wants a basic program. It cannot sync with NFS without an add-on program, Family Insight, developed by Ohana Software. Note: This program will not be updated and does not have as many feature as most of the commercial programs.
- Legacy - http://legacyfamilytree.com/ They have a free standard program and the full program is $29.95 or $39.95 depending on the method of delivery. Can also sync with NFS.
- Ancestral Quest 12 - http://www.ancquest.com/index.htm This program is $29.95 and can also sync with NFS
- Family Tree Maker 2010 - http://www.familytreemaker.com/ Made by Ancestry.com and can sync with a family tree created on Ancestry. It cannot currently sync with NFS without an add-on program, Family Insight, developed by Ohana Software.
These programs are all for Windows based computers. Family Tree Maker 12 has just been released for the Mac. The main other program available for the Mac is Reunion which is available at http://www.leisterpro.com/ and sells for $99.
These programs can help to make your Family History work easier and will certainly allow you to document more completely. They also allow you to track information on your living relatives. Find a programs that works for you.